Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share you ideas and experiences.
After putting a new impelor on my motor, and not being happy with the water flow out the tattle tale , I hooked up the muffler to it and turned up the hose preshure. No water came out the hole. I cranked the motor over for about 20 seconds and still got no water. Looks like I am dealing with a water blockage someplace here *sigh* Any sugestions on working on this problem? Im curently looking for a cemical answere. From what I Understand, the Hose should have flowed water without the motor running, so I dont think its the impellor ;(
Ken, If you get no water from the hose to the impellor; I would start by running a very stiff wire up and down the tube from the impellor to the pickup point in the foot. Then flush out with CLR or similar mineral eating wash. Be careful what you use though, some compounds will react badly with the aluminum in the motor. Read all cautions on the carton. ,TG
Well, I took the lower end of the 15 again, checked the impellor and it was fine, the pin has not sliped. wile I had it open I blew air through the pipe comming off the waterpump, throught the tattletale and through the return up inside the housing. Air flowed unrestricted, I attached a secondairy waterpump, and sent water through the system again at the waterpump feed.. Water is definitly circulating through the motor, but almost none is making the tatletale, I think it has something to do with the extention that was installed. In any event. I am now satisfied that the motor is being cooled, reguardless of the lack of water at the tatletale.
Tommorrow I plan on doing a little fiberglassing. I have a crack in each corner of the transom where it dips down. So I dremeled the cracks in order to stop them, tommorrow morning I will fiberglass the corners, and apply a layer of fiberglass both inside and outside to reinforce the motor mount area of the transom. Tommorrow afternoon I just might have to go for a ride in it. Depends on when I get up if Ill have enough time to let it cure.
The carberator still isnt functioning 100%, but it is running good enough that I want to take it out for a test run. ( saftey note, my 40 pound thrust electric, and my 6.5 gas will also be accompaning me on this test run.
Good luck with the test. If it turns out that the motor is not being cooled properly because of water flow thru it, what would the symtoms be?
I think it would pretty much overheat, and stall out. it might also act/sound/run funny as it approached overheat status. I do not think it will overheat, as I said, I had it apart, and with another pump sent water throught the system,, its circulating, just not making the tatle tale. the motor ran over 1/2 hour in the bucket at trolling speed with the prop turning and was cool to the touch everywhere. I dont think heat is a problem.
I did not get to take the boat out easter sunday. The repairs ( fiberglassing ) went very well as expected, its all cured and painted ready for action.
There is still allot of ice everywhere around here, but there is a place or 2 I could go. Probably wont get the chance to get out now til the weekend. Maybe Ill get my casting deck finished sometime this week.
Will add some information since i have given 3 of the old 15 Johnson/
Evinrudes to the junk yard because of the water pump. The clincher is
to change the impeller or do much of anything to it you have to lower
the lower unit and that means lower the drive shaft and that means the
shaft must slip out of the base of the power head. The upper endof
the drive shaft is a splined fitting into the base of the power head
and unfortunately they rust and no amount of pulling, banging, or
liquid wrench will make it turn loose. I could not find a dealer or
repair shop that had a solution. That pin you mentioned is made onto
the drive shaft and should not have been free. It sounds like the
previous owner worked on the water pump and saw the light.
If you did drop the shaft down and got the top of the pump off
then you are home free but if you didn't drop the drive shaft then
the pump is probably not working. Put the ear muffs and water to
the water intake on the lower unit and start the engine and if the
water pump is working it will push the water out through the propeller
hub with some force but not a lot.
Good luck and if you find a sollution to getting that shaft out
i would like to know it. The stream from the telltale hole should
spurt out at least two inch or so.
I guess I got lucky then, becuse my shaft comes out without any problems. My manule recomends a touch of greese when putting it together each time to help it apart next time.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors: