Home Small Boat Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share you ideas and experiences.

Re: 1959 14.5' fixer upper "fiberglass vs. new wood" (Please Help!!)

That piece of wood is the transom of the boat. I cannot say for sure but, I would probably opt for replacing the entire thing. I donot know how the transom is attached on this particular boat. Most are attached to wooden splines that are glassed into the rear of the hull. The transom is then attached with marine grade screws and the entire thing is reinforced with glass cloth and resin. this can be rather complicated. It can be done. It sure beats having the transom break and loosing your motor or worse. You should only use Marine grade plywood for this. Hope this helps, TG.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: 1959 14.5' fixer upper "fiberglass vs. new wood" (Please Help!!) - TAILGUNNER 10:22:21 10/09/02 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.