Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share you ideas and experiences.
Well, I Just took my motor apart and changed the water pump. The Impellor was in perfect shape and flexable, the only problem is the Pin somehow worked its way free and wasnt turnnig the Old impellor.. Anyway, I installed the new one , put it all back together and fired it up expecting to see my motor taking a piss out the hole.. To my surprize, there was barely more water comming out the hole then there was before the Job.. I mesured it, I get about 2/3 a cup of water a minute out of it. ( at fast idle ) and it is Ice cold, even after 10 minutes in the bucket running. The water is also not comming out in a stream, it is comming out like a spray nozzle would, in a mist. One of 3 things is hapening here..
A: the pin came out of the impelor during instalation. ( possible but doutfull)
B: This Is Normal ( also doutful )
C: The waterjacket ( I guess ) is cloged with salt crystals. ( my bet )
Now the Question is,,A B or C.
Will exposure to fresh water desolve the salt crystals over time?
I really dont want to crack that mother again, what a pain in the but it was getting it all back together by myself,, I really could have used more hands, but I only had the Dog to watch me.
So anyway,, What do you all think?
I do not know very much about outboards but its my guess that the water coming out should have been at least luke warm after only a minute or so of running especially if the flow is low. Can you pull the cover off the top of the engine and open a line to where the water is supposed to exit the engine so see if the flow made it that far? Is it possible that it is not reaching the engine at all? I think the salts should dissolve in fresh water over time if thats the problem. I will bet there is some solution that you can make up using household chemicals that would disolve the salt even faster. I think I read that you have to change the impeller alot more often in salty conditions maybe this one is shot.
the water impelor is not shot, it is brand new,, But I am thinking it is posssible the shear pin sliped duirng assembly causing the impelor to just spin on the shaft like the old one was. The old impelor was also in good condition,, just missing its pin to hold it in place. waterflow is similure to what it was when the old impelor was just spining on the shaft. I kinda hope that is all it is,, becuse if it isnt,,, Im gonna have a job on my hands. I have already started concidering using a cemical,, SOmething called LimeAway. we use it to get rid of minirel deposits in our industrial washing machiene at work, Im gonna tear it apart again tommorrow if it isnt freezing outside like it was today.. I will say 1 thing for it,, it was about 38 here and the dam thiing fired right up. ( still a carb adjustment problem, But it does reliabbly start ). Ill make another post tommorrow after I tear it all down again *sigh*
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors: